The worst part about cooking or baking for me is the clean up so I’m never one to turn down trying a new recipe that requires minimal clean up and is easy to make! Also with the weather in Toronto starting to cool down, an easy hot recipe is just what I was looking for!
The Beef Barley Soup is a one dish meal because it contains your meats, vegetables and barley that will fill you right up! This recipe makes about 10 cups of soup and it keeps well in the fridge for dinner the next day or even lunch to bring to work!
· 900ml no salt carton beef broth
· 1 tablespoon rosemary
· 1 tablespoon thyme
· 500g stewing beef
· 387ml diced tomatoes
· 2 small carrots chopped into rounds
· 2 cloves of garlic minced
· 1 onion diced
· ¾ cup dry pearl barley
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 3 bay leaves
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 229g cremini mushrooms quartered stem in
· Montreal steak spice rub
1. Rub the Montreal spice on the stewing beef and let it sit while you’re chopping up the vegetables.
2. Chop up everything at once so it’s easier for you to put in the pot after.
3. Heat up a big pot on medium to high and pour in the oil. Heat the oil and then pour in the minced garlic and onion until the onion starts to soften.
4. Add the diced tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, barley and bay leaves until the mushrooms start to soften, around 5 minutes
5. Add broth, beef and salt and bring the stew to a boil. Add in the rosemary and thyme and reduce the heat to a low-medium. Let it simmer for 45 – 1 hour or when the beef gets soft. Once it’s ready to be served, remove the bay leaves.
Ta-Da! Enjoy your soup! I might try adding some potatoes next time to make it even more satisfying but I’ll have to add in the potatoes closer to the end or it’ll end up cooking for too long and dissolving!