My sister can’t eat gluten products and it’s pretty hard for her to find something she can eat without getting sick so she asked me to bake some muffins for her that used spelt flour and orange juice instead of milk. The taste is no different from a normal muffin so it’s a win win for everyone!
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen) There is a lot of blueberries so if you want something that is slightly lighter, experiment with 1 cup of blueberries until you find what you like!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Cream together the butter and the sugar. Stir in the applesauce, vanilla, orange juice and eggs
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. Stir the flour into the butter mixture until it’s all combined. Add in the blueberries until it’s evenly blended.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin (makes about 12 regular sized muffins) and put in the oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean!
If you can’t eat all the muffins in a short period of time, you can wrap them in saran wrap and freeze them and when you are feeling hungry, just pop it it in the oven or microwave for a quick heat up!